Wednesday, April 1, 2009

worse

I gave myself a reality check this morning, and guess what? things could be worse.
yes, I want to get out there and ride, and yes, it keeps snowing and preventing me from doing that. yes, I'd like some more of those 60 and 70 degree days so I don't return from a ride frozen, and yes, the temps have been hovering in the 30s and 40s.
however,
things could be worse.
I could be a high school lacrosse player.

my 16 year old plays lacrosse on his high school team. he's been playing for about 8 years now, and has a passion for the sport. I think it has something to do with the fact that you get to hit people.
lacrosse season is in the spring, and league rules allow them to begin practice on president's day in february. for these past 2 years that he's been in high school, he's worked with his teammates to shovel the snow off the field so that they can begin practice that day. (the varsity team played a game in the blizzard 3 days ago, where people had to run shovel snow off the lines on the field during the game so that the refs could do their job, but that's someone else's story for another time.)
so far the team has had 2 games postponed due to snowstorms, and I'm waiting for tonight's game to suffer the same fate, as I watch the snow pour down and pile up outside my window.

snow makes practice difficult, as well.

when the weather is abhorrent (which is one giant step worse than inclement) I have the ability to go sit on a spin bike indoors, and continue to work on my fitness level and skills. the lacrosse team doesn't have the same option, as they can barely find fields to practice on, let alone a large, field-sized indoor space.
although the guys might (secretly) welcome a day off, they also know the season is short, and it will all end soon. I think they'd rather be practicing than not.
(especially since the varsity, junior varsity, and freshman/sophomore teams are all undefeated so far this year: that's my little "I'm a proud mom" plug.)

therefore, my reality check got me out of my woe is me it's snowing again pity party, and back into that place of gratitude.
which always shows up when I realize things could be worse.

I could play lacrosse.

No comments: