Tuesday, April 28, 2009

biking and driving

I spent 90 minutes biking today,
and about 175 minutes in my car driving.

which do you think was more fun?

some days wear me out. I try to place blame on the yoga and spin classes and outdoor rides, but I think the real culprit is drive time. the here-and-back, there-and-back, here-and-there-and-back running around that I have somehow created in my life.
I know I did this to myself, and it's primarily about the experiences I want my kids to have, so I'm trying quite hard not to complain about it.

but I'd rather be riding.
or yoga-ing.
or, come to think of it, sleeping.

as for today's ride, I didn't think it was going to happen.
I went to yoga at 6, then did the run-the-carpool-to-school thing and the take-the-car-in-for-an-oil change-thing, then came home and was exhausted. I was mostly worthless until late morning (okay, and I did take a nap), and then decided a ride was more than my body could take.

an hour later I started putting my cycling clothes on.

because the sun was out and it was 60+ degrees and it was supposed to rain later.
I couldn't stop myself.

and it was another great ride, full of those joys of being out in a world that is waking up from its winter slumber.
I wish those joys were as accessible while driving a car.
from here to there, and there to here, and back again. and again.

my new goal is to average more miles on my bike each week than on my car.

No comments: