Tuesday, April 14, 2009

out of sight . . . out of mind

I have this issue with things I buy. it's as if I think the mattress tag police are going to come get me: am I really allowed/supposed to/not going to ruin anything if I rip that tag off the new item I just purchased?
will I destroy the integrity of the product if I trim a piece back, cut the legs off, add to or take away from what's already there?
apparently a part of me believes so.

and that is a key reason I haven't fixed the too-long, ill-fitting, ends-flapping strap on my bike helmet.
every time I wear that helmet my right ear hurts.
every time.
and each time I get off my bike and remove my helmet, I promptly forget all about it.
which is the other reason I haven't fixed the strap on my bike helmet.

between fear of the secret product police and my "out of sight, out of mind" method of operation, I have this terribly uncomfortable strap on the right side of my helmet that causes me no end of grief, and I can't seem to do anything about it.

bike helmets, you see, come with the incredibly complicated system of straps that my little brain can't (won't) completely make sense of. you would think it would be fairly simple: straps come from front and rear of helmet, meet under the ear, then move down and snap together with the straps from the opposite side.
however, something happens when those flat woven straps bend and slide through the little adjusting gripper thingees (yes, I know they have a real name but I will not deign to do that research) and for the life of me I can't get the right side to fit correctly and leave my ear alone.

the question one should ask now is: just how much effort has susan given to this project?

the answer: very little.

because (1) I have a congenital fear of those product police and (2) out of sight, out of mind.

I laughed while telling the story of my helmet and ear on sunday as I rode, was bothered by it monday when I rode, and only rubbed it once or twice this morning when I rode.
and have I fixed it yet?

no.

because it's sitting on the other side of the wall, two rooms away.
and besides, it has that special protection to keep it safe from consumers like me who may, one day, be tempted to take scissors to it and violate its very nature.

No comments: