Monday, March 30, 2009

fortitude

I'd prefer to write tonight about how I didn't want to get out of bed this morning, but dragged myself to the gym anyway, through the blizzard, and made myself work on the elliptical, the ball, the machines, the free weights, the bosu . . . (and ended with an incredibly stable headstand!) . . . and then drove home, putting myself in peril on the treacherous, unplowed, snow packed and rutted roads.
but that would be boring and depressing and whiny, so I will skip that.
instead, I'm going to say a few words about fortitude.
G used this word in spin class yesterday (one of the best things that came out of her mouth), and it struck me with it's suitability for usage in my cycling lexicon.

fortitude: strength of mind that allows one to endure pain or adversity with courage.

oh, what a brilliant word. the most intelligent part of me wants to leave it right there, to stop blathering on, and to just let it be. what more needs to be said?
well, another part of me says I need to add at least a little more.

I was relying on fortitude this morning.
to top off my weakness and lack of enthusiasm and overall lack of strength, the facility was out of towels. I don't know about you, but I sweat when I work out. a lot. and I don't like the feel of sweat beads running down my face.
but when there are no towels, there are no towels, and one must move forward with grace and fortitude.
so I did.
and as I said, I ended my session with a stunningly steady headstand, once again drilling home the fact that one always feels better at the end of a workout than one does beforehand.

fortitude.
my new pet word.
I'm sure you'll be seeing it again.

No comments: