Tuesday, May 26, 2009

pining

today was one of those days when I don't ride and I don't miss it.
at least not very much.
well, just a little.
and I experience that sense of missing it only while I'm driving around in my car, running errands or running kids around, and I see other people bicycling.

and this is the piece of it I miss: the sense of joy that bubbles up every single time I ride.
it's never there for the entire ride: it would be unrealistic to expect that. it's hard to be joyful when you can't breathe or your muscles ache or you're experiencing both of these things simultaneously.
but moments of pure joy always find me. they can be in the cornering on a swooping descent, they can be when a robin flies past me at eye level just 10 feet from my face, they can be in the split seconds between the touch of a cool breeze and the goosebumps that erupt on my skin. they are in the awe of dawn turning to day, they are in sunrises and the light sprinkling of scattered raindrops, they are in the rush I get from knowing I am one with my bike on a fast downhill.

it takes me more than a single day to pine for those moments, however. today I am relishing the extra time I had, the fact that I don't have that additional dirty laundry, and the lazy luxury of giving my muscles a day of recovery, knowing that early tomorrow morning I will get back on my bike and open myself wide to the possibility ~ and probability ~ of newfound joys.

No comments: