Monday, December 1, 2008

turning back

do you know how many times I think about turning back at some point before the final destination when I'm on a ride?
would you believe at least half the time?
that would probably be accurate.
it's not always during the first 15 minutes, nor is it always at the most difficult point. today it happened about halfway up the canyon. I thought to myself, I don't really have to do this. I don't really have to do this.
how many things in life can one say that about?
I suppose, just about everything.
but we usually choose to just do it anyway.
I think about not doing things, and then I do them anyway.
I think about turning back, and then I just keep going.
like nike says, just do it.
don't think about it, don't strategize, don't bargain, don't rationalize or talk yourself out of it . . . just do it.
which is what I did this afternoon.
which doesn't mean I won't still think about turning back early tomorrow.

No comments: