Tuesday, August 26, 2008

in memoriam

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.
~ lord alfred tennyson


I knew a small part of a girl.
she was full of joy and peace, and had visions of a harmonious future not only for herself and her circle of family, friends, and community, but for a huge chunk of the world. she gave of herself freely, and she had reached a point of feeling so little fear that her movements appeared effortless. she heard callings and she answered. she connected with sky and earth and spirit, and with humans across a wide spectrum of existence.
she loved, she nurtured, she offered pieces of herself and she was wise enough to draw from others what she needed for herself.

her name is liz johnson, and I know that she will live forever in the memories of all who knew her. whether they knew big parts, all of her, most of her, or just a small part as I did. the liz I know will always be smiling and vibrant and grounded and deeply connected to our world. she will teach me things through her presence, and through her creativity. I have deepened my own connection to my creativity because of liz.
liz is the reason this web log exists, as she is the one who unleashed my creative passions and reignited my belief in who I am and who I need to be.

I give not of myself, I wither.
I rest in peace and love and find
that fuel surrounds me, gives to me
the passion that I sought
and I give, myself, and find that I
am more whole than before.

liz was, is, and will always be a gift to those of us here on earth.
may all of those who have been touched by her life know that she is still here, more perfectly than ever before, and that she will always be a part of us because of her unending gifts to us while she was in human form here, on this earth.


[liz johnson survived a catastrophic plane crash in guatemala on sunday, only to die later that night during medical procedures at the hospital. she was one of a handful of humanitarian workers who were there to work on a school. she lived here in utah with her family.]

No comments: