Sunday, February 5, 2012

the road

I'm trying something new.
so far, so good.

it's not about cycling, but I suppose it applies, as the goal is to apply it across the board, to all aspects, moments, and phases of life. and I suppose we could make it about cycling . . . why not?

this is it, simply, in two axioms:

expect nothing
trust life

in my incorporation of these (incorporate, literally, to take into one's body) I find myself releasing the hope for outcomes, instead, focusing on being my very best me in each moment. these past seven or so weeks since my return from nepal have been very strange for me, and I've often found myself in a place of "not knowing." when confronted with situations I find perplexing, uncomfortable, anxiety-provoking, I have found myself frustrated or indecisive or---possibly worse---disconnected.
and with these two brief statements, four small words, I find myself relaxing and drawing back from this place of "ick" into a place of "ah."
okay, this is only my second day, but the sense of relief is significant. I am simply focused on being my best with each conversation, each encounter, each decision, each action, and letting life itself figure out the rest. (of course I forgive myself when I err, because the act of forgiveness is always a sign of one's being one's best self.)

okay, now let's apply this to cycling.
expect nothing: always bring your own water, your own food, your own electrolytes, your own extra clothing. be prepared. have money, have tubes and cartridges, have your road ID, have sunscreen.
yep, that works pretty well.

trust life: what goes up comes down, so enjoy your swoop after your climb; your body wants to live, and will take just about every healthy challenge you throw its way so don't wimp out; when you fall, someone will eventually help you get up; if you keep smiling and waving, someone will eventually return these efforts.
yep, that works pretty well, too.

expect nothing,
trust life.

because it's truly all about the process, not the result, as brilliantly illustrated by cycling:

it's the road there, not the destination.

No comments: