Friday, February 3, 2012

end of the blahg

a friend of mine, the other day, commented that they had been reading my blahg . . .
which made me smile, while internally wincing.
ouch.

I'd better get gruntled quickly, hadn't I?


well here goes.

our biking buddies brad and ivy moved to seattle last november, breaking off little corners of all our hearts. they were in town last weekend and we gathered for dinner--fourteen of us, a goofy collection of souls--and I think part of my malaise has to do with the fact that they were brilliantly here and now woefully gone.

the crew who gathered comprised
a plane salesman (girl)
a computer guy
1 entrepreneur
1 nurse
1 writer and small business owner (me!)
2 geologists, one of whom works in academia and one in the real world with environmental issues
1 PhD who has just begun medical school
1 strikingly lovely bulgarian grad student
1 environmental attorney who loves to rock climb
1 professor in the school of business

3 physicians (who can be, if you don't know this, a little bit lovably geeky)



the interests of this combined group skip and scatter about, jumping around the globe and covering many sports, most outside activities known to man, myriad intellectual pursuits, fabulous authors, independent and big screen movies, bacteria, viruses, and raising chickens.



if only our 2 biologist friends had been there, we could have widened the interest range to include worms and axons and plant toxins.



two days ago our temporarily-based-in-seattle (hint hint) friends posted a short video on facebook; ivy the cinematographer, brad the actor. brad was riding his bike around their living and dining rooms and kitchen, while ivy provided the dialogue which was to the tune of "we're adults, look at us, brad is riding his bike in the house, yes, we can do this because we have a big enough house and we're adults."



I miss them.



and my point today is simply this: we are not only what we eat, we are who we choose to spend time with. the people we love, the people we choose to be with, they are part of us, they fuel us, they may at times reflect portions of ourselves (and that is why we're drawn to them) but they also, at times, provide what we ourselves don't have.



I've never ridden my bike in the house. and now I don't have to, because I can live vicariously through the brad-and-ivy show.



and I'm a better person for it.

No comments: