Thursday, March 29, 2012

patience

it's that time of year again when I need to dig down deep and find, within, some patience.

like most everything in life, cycling is cyclical. (that makes me smile.)
every spring when the weather turns nice we ride, we ride more, we ride longer and longer, we ride harder, and guess what? we get better.

and then the season ends, we back off, we ride less, we ride shorter, we go indoors and do intervals, our total saddle time is cut by up to half.

winter happens,
spring appears,
and the cycling cycle begins again.

last weekend gave us 2 incredible days in the the 70's, and of course, most of us who love to ride hit the road. the cycling cycle has begun again.
which is the reason I need to dig deep and find the patience to let myself build back up to the place I was last fall.

saturday some biking buddies and I rode up to brighton, and it was hard-hard-hard. I was at the top end of my anaerobic zone (okay, ventilary threshold) for a good half of the ride, which means only slightly less than an hour. this is a ridiculous place to spend an hour, and it hurt. but if I'd gone any slower I would've fallen over sideways.


not really, but I was the tail end of the 5 of us, and I didn't like it. I had to at least keep number 4 in sight.


so instead of being frustrated, I need to be patient.
I need to remember that it's only march; I need to remember that the first big climb of the season is always painful, difficult, ridiculously high heart rate the entire time. I need to remember that this is only a phase; I need to remember that this will change.


patience with myself.
faith in myself.
trusting that I will work through this and get better.

there is a time to sow, a time to reap. a time to lay fallow, a time to be fertile. a time to read on the couch, a time to work. a time to spin indoors, a time to remember the delight of outdoors. a time to eat, a time to relax, a time to be grateful, and my favorite,
a time to dance.

spring brings the cycling cycle back to the time for patience, faith, and trust.

because the thing about cycles is that they're cyclical, predictable, faithful, dependable; and if they move quickly enough, they create this really cool thing I call

swooping.


see you out there!

No comments: