Wednesday, June 15, 2011

cake

one year ago today, I hopped on my bike early in the morning, heading off to celebrate my Biking Anniversary by climbing up big cottonwood canyon to brighton ski resort, as I'd done the previous 3 years.
about seventeen minutes into my ride, I crashed, breaking my collar bone in two places, breaking a couple ribs, chipping my shoulder, and shredding my brand new bad ass team shorts.

today, I hopped on my bike early in the morning, heading off to celebrate my Biking Anniversary by climbing up big cottonwood canyon to brighton ski resort.
about seventeen minutes into my ride, I passed the spot where I had crashed, and I continued on, upright and solid, my collarbone still decorated with a titanium plate.

I'm big on anniversaries, on traditions, on celebrating (or at least acknowledging) the annual re-visiting of important dates. I hold most of these in my head (and that's why I forget them, sometimes), and most often celebrate them quietly, internally.
but this is a big one.
this changed my life.
it has helped me hold on, helped me clear my head, helped me escape, become healthier, meet new friends . . .
this is a huge anniversary for me.

so, since I rode a big hard ride this morning, and since it is such a special day, I will once again utilize those words of marie antoinette's that have been tweaked over time (and now by me):

let's go eat cake.

No comments: