Saturday, May 21, 2011

newton's laws of motion

last post was about being still.
I liked being still. it was restorative, a little bit fun. it forced me to breathe deeply and refuel a few depleted cells.
however, nothing remains the same, nothing is static for long: today I got on my bike in the glorious sunshine and rode 106 fast miles. fast. faster than was comfortable, faster than I'm really capable of, if that could be true. (it's as I tell my friends: I'm not that strong of a rider, I just always ride above my ability level.)
it's as if I took every bit of stillness from the other day and practiced its opposite. in yoga, we'd call this a counter-pose; today I'm thinking that it's just an aspect of life that follows one of newton's laws.

as tired as I sometimes become, as weary as I often feel, as depleted as I at times am, there always---always---comes a time where I go ride hard, work all day like a fiend, run errands/do laundry/cook/run kids here and there, give 150 percent of what I thought I had to give. newton was right when he told us that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
stillness on thursday; ridiculously fast cycling today.
there you go.
scientific laws acted out by yours truly.

now newton also says that an object in motion tends to stay in motion. hmm . . .
okay, he did go on to say that it will stay in motion unless an external force is applied. I guess life could be considered an external force. at the end of those seemingly non-stop days I eventually collapse, ceasing my motion.
and at the end of my 106 mile bike ride today, I collapsed. well, actually, I didn't so much collapse as try to eat everything in my fridge and freezer. I sighed deeply, repeatedly. I stretched and groaned. I took a hot shower and gloried in being clean again. and then I ate some more.

for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
stillness thursday, fast motion on a primarily flat course today . . .
I don't dare think about tomorrow.

No comments: