Monday, June 7, 2010

the trickster

I've seen three coyotes in the past two weeks, all of them up close and (relatively) personal. so of course my mind moves to the inevitable conclusion that the universe must be trying to communicate with me.
the first was in big cottonwood canyon, the second in emigration, and the third, in parley's. I hadn't seen a coyote before these sitings for at least two years, if not more. and then three within two weeks?
obviously, definitely, a message.

in native american lore the coyote is a famed creature, known as the trickster. tale after tale exists that speak of his creativity, his sneakiness, his ability to make a fool of himself and still come out on top, and his ability to change the very way of the world. here's a brief story to demonstrate:

Coyote and the Columbia
(Sahaptin/Salishan Tribes)
retold by
S. E. Schlosser

One day, Coyote was walking along. The sun was shining brightly, and Coyote felt very hot.
"I would like a cloud," Coyote said.
So a cloud came and made some shade for Coyote. Coyote was not satisfied.
"I would like more clouds," he said. More clouds came along, and the sky began to look very stormy. But Coyote was still hot.
"How about some rain," said Coyote. The clouds began to sprinkle rain on Coyote.
"More rain," Coyote demanded. The rain became a downpour.
"I would like a creek to put my feet in," said Coyote. So a creek sprang up beside him, and Coyote walked in it to cool off his feet.
"It should be deeper," said Coyote.
The creek became a huge, swirling river. Coyote was swept over and over by the water. Finally, nearly drowned, Coyote was thrown up on the bank far away. When he woke up, the buzzards were watching him, trying to decide if he was dead.
"I'm not dead," Coyote told them, and they flew away.
That is how the Columbia River began.

the coyote is resourceful, intelligent, adaptable; in fact, he is the most so of all mammals.

in the spiritual world the coyote represents opportunity, stealth, creativity, experience, new life, and illumination. he represents both folly and wisdom, and the balance between the two. the coyote teaches us to see through our foolish acts, laugh at them, and then gain the wisdom from this process.

and what does this all mean for me? I don't yet know. perhaps the message they are bringing me is that I have overcome my foolishness and increased my sagacity; perhaps the message is to watch out for what's still to come. perhaps they are simply acknowledging my own resourcefulness, my intelligence, my adaptability, and reminding me of the creative powers I hold deep within.

whatever the message may be, I have reveled in each siting and been grateful for it. the thought of the devious and excessively fortunate trickster crossing my path again and again brings a great smile to my face, and I dare to hope for just one more coyote, please, before the month is out.

No comments: