Monday, October 5, 2009

another first

my first thought was this:
if you're going to ride a bike in snow, this is the kind of snow to do it in.
it was widely spaced, a handful of seconds between each flake, and the flakes were small and light and dry, the kind that piles together and forms that perfect Utah powder our ski resorts brag about.
that thought actually remained with me for a good 5 minutes or so, as just a few dozen of those perfect little flakes drifted into my face or helmet or legs.
I was grinning, soaking in another new experience for me: riding my bike while it was snowing.

my next thought about snow, however, was that those sparse and dry little flakes had somehow changed into larger, wetter, more populous flakes. that were now slamming into my face and body, pelting me with little wet, sharp bombs, causing me to dip my head and squint behind my glasses and basically, feel just the teeniest tad short of miserable.

I decided I didn't like riding in snow.

the good news, however, is that this is Utah (where it's said that if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes), and that snow only lasted for a couple more miles, and the cloud-dappled blue sky to the northwest remained cheery throughout the divebombing. no, it wasn't very warm out there, but the 40's are better than the 30's.

and now the clouds have lightened and split apart to reveal blue skies all over, and sunshine is beating down everywhere. sigh. some lucky people are just getting on their bikes, now, to head out on a snowless ride.
sigh.

well, they won't be able to claim a snowy canyon ride today, and so I (in that sick and twisted way) get to stay one up on them.

not that I'm keeping score.

No comments: