you know, the container that collects all the treats you buy in anticipation of future rides or receive in pre-race bags, and everything left in your pockets at the end of those rides.
my goodie tin included:
- a honey stinger waffle, expiration date 08/2012
- a honey stinger waffle, expiration date 10/2012
- a honey stinger waffle, expiration date 04/2014
- 4 packs of cliff shot bloks: tropical punch, strawberry, citrus, black cherry
- 11 assorted Gu's, citrus, vanilla, lemon sublime, raspberry, montana huckleberry, razz, chocolate outrage, and the only one I really like: double expresso.
- a baby ruth candy bar, best by 06/2011 ( just kidding, I can't find a date. it's been in there forever.)
- a snickers bar almost as old as the baby ruth.
and by "cleaning out" the tin, I mean using items on my rides.
the old honey stinger waffles went first. mm. they get hard after a year or two.
the april 2014 waffle was excellent: soft, yummy.
then the strawberry shot bloks: strawberry is my least favorite flavor. shot bloks are these chewy half-inch cubes packed with electrolytes and some calories. think "dots" candy but softer.
they come 6 to a pack, and I worked my way through the other flavors, ending with the tropical punch, a flavor I like even less than strawberry ~ it comes in blue packaging, which is why I saved it for last, thinking it was something yummy like blue raspberry. my bad.
I've had two Gu's..... and will eventually force myself to have some vanillas and chocolate outrage (best by 11/12). expiration dates here range from 09/12 to 11/14.
what's still in the tin:
- honey stinger fruit smoothie energy chews (2/14)
- two packs of 100% all natural new zealand whey protein powder, chocolate, exp. 4/15.
- a pack of strawberry "heed" sports drink powder, exp. 4/14. I will never use this.
- a pack of lifesavers. don't know why this is in here.
- a pink lemonade "zip fizz" energy drink powder in a cute mini tube. 3/12.
- a pack of "endurolytes" electrolyte replenishment capsules. made with natural ingredients!
- 4 packs of electrolyte stamina "power pak" powder: 2 acai berry, 2 raspberry
oh, and one packet of "bioZzz instant alpha-lactalbumin supplement," which I think is to help you go to sleep the night before a race.
by the time I work through all this stuff, my body will probably hate me.
2012? it will say. what are you thinking? throw it out!
2013? well, maybe.
2014? getting closer.
the only 2015 item is something I can't imagine ever using: chocolate protein powder from new zealand. geez.
well, after all this writing and detective work (finding those expiration dates is not an easy thing to do, as buried and as undecipherable as some are), I'm worn out and need something to pep me back up.
I could go for a low-cal energy drink powder in a tall glass of water . . .
or I could check out the snickers.
see you on the road! I'll be the one pulled off to the side, probably vomiting.